The newest incarnation of “Fright Night” is a remake of a 1985 film of the same name (hence my use of ‘incarnation’). The film follows Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) as he deals with the typical teenage dealings: girlfriend, friends, parents, and creepy vampire neighbor. His childhood best friend, who revels in hardcore nerdiness, pulls the newly popularized Charlie back into the ghouls and goblins scene once more after one of their mutual friends disappears from school. The story then unfolds as Charlie’s old friend disappears (just like the last!) and the evidence begins to stack up leading to the conclusion that his new neighbor, Jerry Danridge (Collin Farrell), is in fact a vampire! In a desperate attempt to figure it all out and stop Jerry the Vampire Charlie takes a chance and asks for the aid of commercialized vampire aficionado and hunter, Peter Vincent (David Tenant). Tenant essentially plays a Chris Angel-like individual who holds nightly Vegas shows to wow and dazzle his audiences with mysticism and Goth motifs.
I enjoyed the film; it was fun. It made me realize that the teen movie genre has all but died at the foot of modernism. Teen movies used to be a staple during the 70’s and 80’s, but as the 90’s and 00’s further horned in on the genre it mutated and has become something else all-together leaving classic teen horror films left out in the cold. They may be corny and predictable, but sometimes it is nice to have a mindless, fun romp about growing up and things that go bump in the night.
If you want to watch a fun movie, to sit and eat popcorn by, that provides great laughs and a bit of supernatural flare then check out 2011’s “Fright Night” remake.
- Anton Yelchin and Imogen Poots Talk Horror Hijinks on the Set of Fright Night (popsugar.com)
- DVD: Fright Night (15) (independent.co.uk)
- Colin Farrell Talks Playing a Psycho Vampire With His Fright Night Director Craig Gillespie (popsugar.com)
- Fright Night (smallscreenreviews.com)
- Review: Fright Night (2011) (thefilmoracle.wordpress.com)
- Fright Night (themoviereport.net)
- Fright Night (vitosal.wordpress.com)
- Review: Fright Night (2011) (cinematicheavenandhell.wordpress.com)
- FRIGHT NIGHT’s Sandra Vergara Dishes About Filming and Upcoming Projects (geektyrant.com)
- Review: Fright Night (2011) (pete975.wordpress.com)