“The Lincoln Lawyer” is based upon the written works of Michael Connelly. Connelly has a long running crime series featuring detective Hieronymus ‘Harry’ Bosch, but in his 16th novel Harry’s half-brother, Mickey Haller (the Lincoln Lawyer), was introduced thus creating the foundation for the film.
Matthew McConaughey plays Mickey Haller a traveling Los Angeles attorney. Instead of having a traditional office to work out of Mickey uses a Lincoln Town Car as a mobile office and uses a prior client as his driver; that way Mickey gets a driver and his client is satisfied. Most of his clients include criminals, gangsters, and all sorts of other unsavory characters, but at Mickey’s heart resides a man who deeply believes in the justice system. He is merely trying to place some sort of balance in a system that is often filled with corrupters on either end of the spectrum.
In the beginning of the film, Mickey takes on a particularly troubling case involving a wealthy socialite (Ryan Phillippe) who is accused of assault, battery, and attempted rape. He vehemently denies it, but as the film progresses McConaughey is forced to face his past, remember the face of his father, and protect his family and career amongst a series of grifts and clever courtroom plays.
The acting is truly phenomenal in this film. McConaughey steps up and fulfills the shoes of the intelligently smarmy Mickey to a ‘T.’ However, McConaughey is no stranger to the courtroom, and so this type of role is probably as close to an old hat as an actor can come. Ryan Phillippe portrayal of Louis Roulet is incredibly creepy, which greatly harkens to his prior performances. Both Josh Lucas and John Leguizamo plays minor roles, but fulfill them appropriately rounding out the stellar cast. My personal favorite casting choice of the film was that of William H. Macy’s character, Frank Levin. His performance is brilliant and his lines are delivered famously. My favorite scenes of the film were always led by William H. Macy.
“The Lincoln Lawyer” came highly recommended to me by my mother and it definitely did not disappoint. I love a good lawyer flick and “The Lincoln Lawyer” delivers.
Rumors are that a sequel could be produced within the next couple of years; Matthew McConaughey is also rumored to be reprising his role of Mickey in the potential sequel.
- Exclusive Pictures: Matthew McConaughey and Ryan Phillippe Are a Hot Duo in The Lincoln Lawyer (popsugar.com)
- Lawyer Up – Who’s Hotter on Set, Matthew McConaughey or Ryan Phillippe? (popsugar.com)
- Matthew McConaughey and Ryan Phillippe Bring Their Bright Smiles and Sexy Suits to Berlin (popsugar.com)
- Matthew McConaughey and Ryan Phillippe Take Their Film to France (popsugar.com)
- Matthew McConaughey Hits The Gym With Camila [Celebrity Photo Roundup] (socialitelife.com)
- Spotted: Matthew McConaughey, Camila Alves arrive in Sao Paulo (celebritytreat.com)
- Matthew McConaughey & Camila Alves: Noir, Le Lis Opening! (justjared.com)
- The Drop, Michael Connelly and Harry Bosch (eclectic24.wordpress.com)
- Lördag (portalstreetsixtyone.wordpress.com)
- Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey to Star in Serial Killer Crime Series TRUE DETECTIVE (collider.com)