I cannot call myself an avid “Star Trek” fan. I have loved the franchise since before J.J. Abrams rebooted the series, but I would be lying if I told you that I had entrenched myself in the lore and new the ins-and-outs of the entire universe. However, I did grow up with “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” and in later years I went back and watched the Star Trek: The Original Series.” When I found out that my fiancée had not seen anything Star Trek related we went back together and watched “Star Trek: Enterprise” on Netflix to begin at the franchise’s origin (at least chronologically speaking).
Yesterday evening (and into this morning) I had a coworker come over to my place, so that we could watch J.J. Abrams’ reboot, “Star Trek.” This all came about, because a couple of weeks ago he broached me about the subject wondering, “If I knew anything about Star Trek?” (This is in direct relation to the fact that the sequel to Abrams’ reboot is releasing in a scant two weeks time.)
Funnily enough, the Magic Lantern Theater in Spokane, WA (where I live) is doing a special showing of J.J. Abrams’ “Star Trek” (courtesy of Merlyn’s Sci-fi and Fantasy Shop) on the 14th of May to gear people up for the aforementioned sequel, so I recommend that we try to get together so that he could catch up the new movie series. Unfortunately, my coworker and I couldn’t both get the night off, so we decided to do an impromptu ‘Star Trek Night’ at my place.
Long story short, we had a blast.
However, my shameless post about my nerdery is far from over. Some readers may remember that I occasionally work for Titan Publishing/Comics, and coincidentally enough they publish the “Star Trek Magazine” and have just put out a special movie issue for their forty-fifth endeavor.
It is a beautiful printing of everything-and-anything related to “Star Trek Into Darkness,” which releases May 17, 2013. The magazine has in-depth interviews, stills, and all sorts of nuggets to wet your Star Trek whistle. It even includes new Star Trek fiction, as well as a chance to win Gold Passes to the official Star Trek convention in Las Vegas, NV.
To say the least, it is awesome.
I already nabbed my copy from Fred Meyer (my day job) and if you live in the States or Canada it is already available wherever magazines are sold. If you live in the UK the “Star Trek Magazine Movie Special” will be releasing May 16, 2013, so make sure to grab a copy when you can.
If you are interested in more from Titan, or are just curious about the Star Trek Mag, check these sites out:
For more information visit:
Connect with Star Trek Magazine:
Now, that I am done plugging my own work as well J.J. Abrams, Netflix, Titan Publishing/Comics, The Magic Lantern, Merlyn’s, and Fred Meyer I have this one obvious caveat and concluding sentiment to provide to you:
- Star Trek Magazine Goes Behind-the-Scenes of Star Trek Into Darkness (musingsofamildmanneredman.com)
- Star Trek Magazine Into Darkness Special Now on Sale (sliceofscifi.com)
- ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’: J.J. Abrams Talks Potential Trilogy & John Harrison (screenrant.com)
- J.J. Abrams Talks about Making STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS for the Average Moviegoer, the Villain, a Potential Trilogy, and More (collider.com)
- Exclusive First Look: ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Magazine (geek-news.mtv.com)
- Star Trek Magazine Movie Edition Entering Orbit On May 7 (musingsofamildmanneredman.com)
- ‘MTV First: Star Trek Into Darkness’ Starts Now! (moviesblog.mtv.com)
- Thoughts on Star Trek (philipalambertjr.com)
- Star Trek: Into Darkness News: An Earlier Release Date, Early Reviews & A Look at the Klingons (weminoredinfilm.com)
- Non-Trekkie JJ Abrams Discusses Star Trek: “I Have Come To Love It” (contactmusic.com)